Our mission is to improve the financial health of Americans, especially the underserved, by shaping a robust and innovative financial services marketplace with increased access to higher quality products and practices.
We believe finance can be a force for good in people’s lives, and that serving the needs of consumers responsibly is ultimately more profitable for the financial services industry. Our vision is of a financially healthy America where people’s day-to-day financial system functions well and increases the likelihood of long-term resilience and opportunity.
In 2004, we set out to shine a spotlight on the tens of millions of Americans who were falling through the cracks of the traditional banking system. CFSI was founded to catalyze innovation in the financial services industry to meet the needs of the underbanked, and has since launched ground-breaking research and built a incredible network of like-minded partners and providers. We have advised some of the largest brands in the financial services industry on products and strategy development, which in turn has improved the lives of millions of Americans.
We are proud that we:
- Became the first and only center for innovation to leverage technology changes to improve the quality of financial services for low- to moderate-income Americans
- Conducted the nation’s first study on the un- and “underbanked”
- Identified and seeded innovations in transactions, savings and credit
- Founded the nation’s premier conference around better serving the financially underserved
- Developed the Compass Principles, a framework to guide the design and delivery of high-quality financial services
- Championed financial capability as a more effective framework for driving consumer behavior change, successfully shifting both U.S. policy and practices on the ground
- Invested over $30 million in promising fintech innovations that improve the financial lives of everyday Americans
- Increased understanding of underserved consumers and the market opportunities to serve them profitably and responsibly, through our notable research in tracking the financially underserved marketplace and the state of Americans’ financial health
With ongoing support from founding partner Ford Foundation and many other organizations, we continue to focus on further advancing quality in financial services and promoting mutual, long-term benefits for both consumers and providers.